Friday, March 6, 2009

Media playing frustrations, part 1: HDMI

For the longest time I didn't even have a TV at home - simply because there was nothing worth watching that I couldn't watch on my PC. Then the new generation of consoles came out, and I indulged myself to a Nintendo Wii, and bought a nice HDTV to use it. The nintendo wii was nice, except it couldn't do anything except for playing games - even though it has a DVD drive, it cannot play video DVDs. Even though it has a wifi connection, it cannot see my other computers on the network and play video or audio from them. At the time, I thought it was ok, after all it's a gaming console and nothing else.

The TV I got also had a nice new shiny HDMI port, and I was very happy to find out that HDMI is signal-compatible with DVI (which was a very smart decision in the middle of a sea of tech craziness), so I could easily plug a computer to the TV to play movies, which would allow big-screen movie watching. I got a DVI to HDMI adapter for $10, and to my big surprised, it just worked - or well, kind of. Video worked just fine, but there was no way to inject audio even though reports say the audio signal is SPDIF-compatible, the only converter I could find that allowed me to also inject the audio costed well over $1000, so the whole solution was a no-go. I'd just have to keep watching movies on my computer for the time being.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment